Contributed by Tracy Gale, PsyD, HSPP
The hustle and bustle of the holiday season can be challenging – this is often especially true for families with children with special needs or autism.
Here are some tips for helping your family keep the happy in the holidays.
- Create a plan. Have a schedule and things planned out to reduce surprises. Also, have a Plan B in case things change.
- Ask for help. Friends and family may not know what to do that would be helpful, so do not hesitate to tell them what you need.
- Remember to schedule some down time for you and your child.
- Wrap toys that are already assembled and ready to play with to reduce frustration and waiting.
- Consider wrapping familiar toys. It will give extra practice, and the familiar toys are already something your child knows how to use.
Season’s Best from Easterseals Crossroads!